Friday, November 14, 2008

Prop H8

I've been 0n the peripheral of the Prop 8 protests that are taking place all over the nation this week. First in LA and now here in the city. For someone like myself, who attended ACT UP and Queer Nation rallies in my late teens and early twenties, I have to say I'm shocked that in the year of a black man being elected President, the nation is once again clashing over Gay Rights. It's like a million steps forward and two million back.

If you are a New Yorker and would like to show your support, you can go to City Hall this Saturday at 1:30pm and join in the protest for equality. Otherwise, you can go to jointheimpact.com for information on how you can get involved in your area.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

one million forward, TWO million back?

more like two million forward, one million back. gays have not gone through a third of what african americans have...

just chill out for a while

terrence said...

IT IS NOT A MATTER OF BLACK VS GAY
IT IS AN EQUALITY ISSUE !!

THAT IS A LAME STATEMENT AND A LAME WAY OF THINKING !!

TERRENCE PRITCHARD
ATLANTA, GA

Anonymous said...

I agree with Terence. That is such an ignorant thing to say.

jai said...

I think what people forget is that to the Black community, being gay is not an issue of civil rights. African-Americans are extremely religious, so they see being gay as a sin. I think if more people reached out to the Black church then they might have had some progress on not getting the proposition to pass.

ethan said...

Love your blog!!x

Anonymous said...

The expression "2 steps forward 2 steps back" is tongue and cheek. I am certain JD was not equating the struggle of the gay community to be more difficult for that of the black community. It is simply an expression.

Lighten up.