Friday, August 22, 2008

What Up? Agnete Hegelund

Every so often a star comes along and shoots right to the top. Case in point, Agnete Hegelund. Who went from the cover of Italian Vogue with Meisel, to being last seasons "must have" on the runway....to her recent campaign for Calvin Klein. Agnete killed it at the shows and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot more of her this Fall.

Several weeks ago, I was standing in the rain watching a show in Copenhagen when a friend came up to me and said "I feel like such a fool whenever I'm around Agnete." "Really, why?" I asked. "Well, I've hung out with her quite a bit in New York, but whenever I'm around her, I just can't stop staring at her face."

Well, cut to me 30 minutes later singin' the same tune! Agnete is SO beautiful in person, and like "not a stitch of make-up" beautiful. I enjoyed spending time with her in her homeland and was happy to see she's just as beautiful on the inside as out.

She is a lot of fun, very sweet and refreshingly down-to-earth.


So What Up Agnete?

JD Ferguson: Agnete! We're in NYC! I just saw you in Copenhagen.
Agnete Hegelund: Yes and I'm leaving to Paris tomorrow.
JD:
Really? Are you excited?
AH:
Very much.
JD:
Work or play?
AH:
Play.
JD:
That's the best kind. Why Paris?
AH:
Well I never really seen Paris before, only during fashion week or direct bookings. So I'm kind of looking forward to seeing Paris. I've only taken the Metro there like three times or something.
JD: So like, site seeing.
AH:
Ya, tourist stuff...museums...just Paris.
JD: Is this your official "getting ready for fashion week" vacation?
AH:
Yes, it's good to rest before fashion weeks start.
JD:
So fashion week. I remember last season you killed it. You literally did every show from New York to Paris. Was that crazy?
AH: It was nice that it was going so well but its very exhausting.
JD:
Ya, I have a whole new appreciation for what "four weeks of shows" feels like. How do you get through it? Or are you fresh enough that its still so exciting and the adrenaline carries you through?
AH:
I'm definitely not tired of it. When it starts in New York you get all the big rush but at the end, by the time your in Paris, you've done so much it gets to be routine and your not as nervous which is good. But I'm always enjoying doing the shows, it's more what happens off the runway that wears you down.
JD:
Were you nervous when you first started doing shows?
AH:
Umm..I was a bit nervous about my first show in the tent. I was really nervous.
JD:
So did you always want to be a model growing up or did it just happen?
AH:
It just sorta happened. I never really thought about it or even knew that this sort of business existed, or how large it was or that I could make a living like this.
JD:
Has it been a pleasant experience so far? Like what do you love about it and what's not so great.
AH:
Nothing bad. Until now I've really enjoyed it. Of course your getting tired sometimes but I'm always excited about what's going on and to begin not knowing anything and then to actually see you have a career and then to watch it build and have things get better, its very exciting.
JD:
Okay, enough work talk. How old are you?
AH: 20 yrs old.
JD:
And do you stay in Copenhagen?
AH:
Actually I'm from Odense, which is on the middle island of Denmark.
JD:
Is it small?
AH:
It's the third largest city in Denmark. Definitely smaller than NY (laughs) but I love Copenhagen. I'm planning to eventually end up there, though right now I am in New York.
JD:
And do you have siblings?
AH:
I have a smaller brother and smaller sister. I miss them a lot of course. That's the hardest thing about this work, being away from family and friends. But I use Skype a lot.
JD:
YES! Fucking Skype! I love it. I just used it on the road, it's genius, no?
AH: Yes and you can see each other when you speak. My friends, for example, we show each other where we are staying...like the room...the bathroom. But if they don't have a webcam they don't want to do it. (laughs)
JD:
So are you traveling a lot right now or is your summer pretty free?
AH:
Well I've been working a lot this summer because I was here in NY and so I just said yes to a lot of things.
JD: And how do you spend your free time? Do you like to go out? You're in to like music festivals and stuff, right?
AH:
Ya, I love to go to concerts.
JD:
What was your last one?
AH:
I was at Roskilde this summer which was with all my friends from school. We gathered together in a camp and slept in tents and partied the whole time.
JD:
Wow, fun.
AH:
It was so hot and then in the evening it was so cold so you slept with all your clothes on and then in the morning by 7 a.m. you had to get out of your tent cause you were melting.
JD: And who was there? Bands I mean.
AH:
Well my favorite day was Band of Horses and Radiohead.
JD: So your like a total music chick. Did you grow up loving music?
AH: I always listened to my parents music with my painting books and my Dad's headphones., listening to this Danish singer named Kim Larsen.
JD: So do you have a boy back home?
AH: W
ell I just started seeing someone, it's kind of new.
JD: Wow, congrats. Is he cute?
AH: Very much so.
JD: From your hometown?

AH: From Copenhagen.
JD: Okay I'm not going to pry, but I'm glad you've got a guy. So what do you enjoy more shows or shoots?
AH: That's hard to say, shoots can be really fun and really boring at the same time, as far as like "down-time." Shows are always fun but when you're not on the runway, all the work before, can be a lot.
JD: So will you do University eventually?
AH: Yes, I
will definitely study something.
JD: Like what?
AH: Hmm...maybe film. I always find that very interesting.
JD: Well Lock say's you're a big reader.
AH: Ya.
JD: What do you read?
AH: Right now I'm reading a book called Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Before that it was Doghead.
JD:
So you're like a serious reader. Like always having a book on you?
AH: Well, I a
lways have a book with me during the shows and then when I travel. I never watch movies on the plane, always reading. It's the perfect time for a good book in this business.
JD: O
kay so what do you hope for yourself? In life I mean. Like what makes you happy?
AH:
Friends and family, being happy about what I'm doing, enjoying the moment. I think it's really important to enjoy what your doing in life. I don't want to look back and not have enjoyed my life 100%.
JD: Good thinking. Okay babe, well it's been fun hangin'. Let's go eat.
AH: Yes.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agnete was not "one of" she was THE "must have" last season:)

Anonymous said...

That's what he said
??

ryder said...

she is gorgeus. there is something unusual about her and that is what makes her gorgeus.

Anonymous said...

freaky, I didn't know she was this big, I heard rumors and THEN I read all this!!
We were in the same school, to us she was "just" agnete :D
Wow good luck!