Monday, May 5, 2008

RIP

I've decided if you are a New Yorker escaping the cold for a weekend at the Raleigh, there is nothing better than South Beach. However, long gone are the days of cafe con leche's at David's Cafe and people watching on Lincoln Road.

"People watching." What a concept considering I find myself walking in back alleys and neighborhoods to avoid what's on the beach these days. I've tried to be grateful for the opportunity to be in the sun for winter and pick up some extra cash taking model gigs, but with a dark February and an over-crowded beach, not to mention the amount of work that DIDNT come through here this season, I'm afraid my love affair with Miami is OVAH!

The homeless are at an all time high, you will find more ignorant drivers on South Beach than between Sunset and La Brea, the service you now receive (not that it was ever high) is unspeakable and don't even get me started on the quality of food or attitude you get while waiting for it. And would you believe people are still posing for pictures in front of the spot where Gianni was gunned down? No shit. In fact a bus drops them off on the weekends as a destination on a local tour of the area.

Could it be the five dump trucks that emptied trash outside my bedroom window EVERY morning from 7-11am, the most precious part of my day? Is it all the loud construction? Perhaps it's the constant heavy base that booms from the back of SUV's and lowered Mercedes Benz' all day and night. Maybe it's that all my favorite spots on the beach are now overrun with gang bangers, locals and obnoxious tourists stepping foot on South Beach for the first time. In the year 2008.

I know, I know...bitter right? It's my own fault I guess. What was I thinking renting an apartment smack dab in the middle of it all. I knew Miami had changed I was just unaware of how much. New York City here I come!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miami died a long time ago!

arjay said...

hello...i HATE MIAMI as well...i can not wait to get back to DC!!!