Thursday, December 6, 2007

What Up? Irina Lazareanu

I have no idea how to refer to Irina anymore. Gal Pal? Fiancee? Muse? Musician? Model? The possibilities are endless. However it is her latest role as target for the British Press that has her finding solace in her music and wishing no one knew her name at all.

Irina Lazareanu captivated the fashion world with her unique beauty and quirky style and has remained a favorite of such designers as John Galliano and La Lagerfeld himself. In fact, as your reading this, she and buddy Sean Lennon are in London opening Karl's big Chanel blowout, which I'd say is not a bad way to debut your first LP. Highly anticipated LP, I might add, and I am happy to report that it's quite good.

I got a text from my buddy Peter over at Marilyn saying "Guess who's in town?" So knowing how brutal her schedule is I thought I'd pop over for a home cooked meal and see if I could find out what she's been up to as of late. And good thing I did because not only does she serve up a mean lasagna but she had a lot to say.

I love Irina. She is a free spirit, a gifted soul and she deserves all the adulation that has come her way because she works her ass off.

So what's up Rini?
JD Ferguson: Where the hell have you been?
Irina Lazareanu: Watching Dirty Dancing and eating lasagna.
JD:
What's up girl?
IL: Not much, releasing this single on the 6th , finally, which has been postponed for a couple months because of work. And un-wanted press. (laughs)
JD:
Oh my god the fucking press have been hounding you. What does that feel like?
IL: Uh...hate the fuckers.
JD:
So is New York a refuge for you right now?
IL: Well I've just been rehearsing a lot for the gig with Sean, but ya being out of Europe certainly helps.
JD:
Oh right, you are opening Karl's show for Chanel in London next week. How did that happen?
IL:
He had a copy of our single at a shoot we were doing a couple months ago and he liked it and just asked me if I wanted to sing at his show.
JD:
That's fun.
IL: Can I say something else about the press?
JD:
Ya girl, you can say whatever you want.
IL:
I just don't get why the fact that I'm either getting married or not or divorced three times this week or not is anyone's business. Pete [Doherty] nor I have said anything or made any statements to the press about anything. Especially this week they've just been inventing things constantly, following us around in the country in Wilshire, it's exhausting. And harassing my parents!
JD:
Really?
IL: Ya I had to change my parents number twice.
JD:
That sucks. Were you ever prepared for any of that? Like I saw you on BBC last week. How weird is that?
IL:
It's just so...I don't know, I know it's cliche' to say but there's so much going on in the world right now and harping on meaningless information that feels like it should be no-one else's business. I don't get it.
JD: Well it is cliche', that, but I guess (obviously) no-one can understand that unless it's your life that it's happening to which would just be so surreal. I guess it gives you an appreciation for what people who are stalked by the paparazzi go through and what that actually feels like.
IL: It's just crazy that people are running around not only thinking about, but then making stuff up about what I'm doing in my private life?
JD:
So how do you ultimately deal with it?
IL:
I guess I just throw myself in to my work my music with Sean and try to keep it real.
JD:
And modeling? How does your time breakdown between modeling and music now? Are you still crazy busy?
IL: I took some time this season to take care of some personal issues and to spend time with my second half which I never did before and things piled up on me and I really just wanted to write and finish this project.
JD: So has music always been your thing?
IL: Ya always. Since I can remember it's been a huge part of my life.
JD:
Have you cut down on bookings at all since I saw you last?
IL: Yes, for the last two months I've done a couple jobs here and there but I'm just really trying to slow down. Sometimes you go so fast and things get away from you and you forget about the important stuff.
JD:
But wait so as a teenager in Montreal you fled to Europe to be a model?
IL: No I was studying ballet.
JD:
Really?
IL: Ya but you know what everyone's heard this a million times already it's come up in so many interviews. It's funny cause you try not to repeat yourself but it's always the same questions.

JD:
Oh no! I don't want to be like one of those little hoards of Japanese people I see backstage shoving a mic in your face asking you ridiculous questions. Actually
tell me the list of your top 5 most annoying questions you get, come on you've heard them all...about your iPod and all that shit the same ones over and over, no?
IL: Oh god, ya...your all time favorite shopping places, what your wearing, what do you think about the collection, black is the new white, cut my bangs, feathers, chiffon, stiletto blah blah blah...
always the same questions. Want some more lasagna?
JD:
So will you do anything fun for yourself after the Chanel gig?
IL:
There's a Zeppelin reunion on the 10th I wanna do and then I'll just hang out with Peter and the band.
JD: Do you and Pete hang out and play and sing and write? Like is that a big part of your connection?
IL: Ya I think its pretty much all we ever do.
JD:
That's cool.
IL: He started me in the whole music thing.
JD:
Did he teach you to play the guitar?
IL: Ya.
JD:
Is that Johnny Cash on the wall?
IL:
Yes! And June. I'm so proud of it. It's a Jim Marshall, who I love. I got it at Morrison Gallery and I've got a bid on a Bob Dylan over there right now. It's either Dylan with Joan Baez or just Dylan in the East Village in 1963.
JD: What are you listening to these days?
IL: I'm really in to the 80's right now. It's been a hard period lately and I feel like it's uplifting. The 80's feel very light and fun. Like Journey, Boys of Summer, Don Henley...total escape music.
JD:
What's Kate up to?
IL:
I don't know I hope she's happy. Next question.
JD:
Okay, when are you and Pete tying the knot?
IL:
LEAVE US ALONE!!
JD:
Oh my god your too much. That's why you get hounded cuz you wont tell anybody anything.
IL:
I shouldn't have to. I don't ask you about your personal life though you tell me anyways!
JD:
Alright let's watch another movie.
IL: I've got Badlands, Sleeping With The Enemy and Happiness.
JD: Happiness? Pervert.
IL: Your the pervert.


13 comments:

IT IS WHAT IT IS said...

JD
YOU HAVE A GIFT FOR THESE Q AND A"S
THIS BY FAR IS MY FAVE

geena said...

LOVE YOU IRINA!
xo

MR style said...

irina is so cool ! she's as awesome as kate ! hope her single is gonna rock !

Anonymous said...

i love her. i hope she stays strong. the press is ridiculous these days and she deserves everything positive in life.

Anonymous said...

i feel as if a lot of people in the fashion industry are sort of shunning her for whats been happening recently. i feel a bit bad for her

Ezekiel said...

JD you are correct... "oh my god your are too much much"

SHE IS. She doesn't say anything. Now, that being said... So what's really up with her and Pete?!

hahaha

Anonymous said...

Irina is the bomb

Tiki said...

SHUNNING HER? KARL LAGERFELD ASKED HER TO OPEN HIS SHOW IN LONDON?

I WOULD HARDLY SAY THAT IS BEING SHUNNED BY THE FASHION WORLD.

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit confused by this interview. I really like Irina but at the end of the day she knew what she was getting into. Pete Doherty has been constantly in the press for the past few years. I also find it strange that it was Kate Moss who gave Irina her big break with that Vogue shoot, then most recently booked her to appear in her Top Shop campaign then as soon as Kate calls it quits with Pete Irina starts dating him! Are you even suppose to date your friends ex's? As a London resident I rarely see Irina featured in the press, 99.9% of people probably have never heard of her ... Pete became less interesting to the media as soon as he split with Kate, he's not in the tabloids nearly as much now.

veritas said...

thats was such a awesome interview jd!irina is such a cutie, i didnt know she can sing and write,i <3 girls that can sing and write :o))))

Anonymous said...

it's amazing that she likes badlands, i love her even more for that.

insider said...

You must be delusional to to like irina - she just says one lie after another. Then barks like a dog when shes found out. A very unpleasant personality!

U_MAGAZINE said...

love her. i'm curious to listen her first single. love this Q&A, jd.

xx