Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What Up? Ryan Schira

How cute is Ryan Schira? I have to admit when I first shot the, then sixteen year old, I was a little scared of myself. Could I really be attracted to a sixteen year old boy? Well, since covering him as my favorite crush for V Magazine, it turns out a LOT of people find this little cutie appealing.

After years of not seeing him, our paths crossed backstage at Kim Jones and the love affair was re-born. However, he was now nineteen. Adorable as ever, I was happy to see he was doing so well. I have not received as much positive feedback about any one person I have written about as I have Ryan Schira.

He recently popped by my pad to let me grab a shot of him (which we nailed in the first frame) and then hung out for a chat. Born in the Bronx, Ryan attended College in Boston, where he studied Audio Production and Sound Engineering. Music is his passion and he remains grateful for all the opportunities and good times modeling has afforded him.

He is the most natural person I have ever spoke with and remains, to this day, my all-time favorite crush.

So what up Ryan?
JD Ferguson: So Ryan, how thrilled am I to have you here right now?
Ryan Schira: Are you?
JD: HELLO?!? Everyone knows your my favorite crush.
RS: News to me.
JD: Are you scared?
RS: I think you say that to all your favorites.
JD: I shot you back when you were sixteen. You were the first guy I shot that was so young and I was actually a little scared of myself while shooting you.
RS: Ha! I didn't know what the hell I was doing then, still don't really.
JD: How did it feel to be sixteen and in NYC city shooting for a top fashion mag with a crazy queen for a photographer?
RS: Well being from the Bronx, the NYC aspect was not there for me, but as far as being sixteen and being shot for a fashion mag, I didn't think you were crazy. I grew up under very open-minded circumstances.
JD: How so?
RS: I have a large extended family with many gay relatives. My best-friend in high school was gay, so it's always just been life. Love is love.
JD: Really? Did you always know he was gay?
RS: No. It actually took him a year to tell me, he thought I'd be critical.
JD: And were you?
RS: No, we were closer afterwards because of that trust.
JD: Ah, that's so sweet. I wish I had you as a friend when I was getting my ass kicked all through high-school.
JD: Your're in a band.
RS: Yes music is actually my passion.
JD: Wait, before we get in to that, how have you enjoyed modeling so far? What's it been like for you?
RS: It's been fantastic. Traveling is absolutely amazing, I've been able to go a lot of places I never would have and I've met a lot of great people.
JD: Well you've done really well. You're a favorite of Kim Jones and Alasdair McLellan, which isn't too bad.
RS: They are my favorites as well, they've helped me through the learning process these last three years.
JD: Have you worked with them a lot?
RS: I worked with Alasdair eight or nine times my first two years and I just saw him in London. Kim is like family to me, I just spent two weeks at his pad in the UK.
JD: Do you have a girlfriend?
RS: I do not. Probably because I travel a lot.
JD: Want one?
RS: You're my only love.
JD: What are some of your favorite countries?
RS: I love London. Vienna is beautiful and very different than I expected and you can never complain about working in Hawaii, if you can call that work.
JD: Okay your band. What's the name? What do you play? What kind of music is it?
RD: "Love Kills Boy," rhythm guitar and lead vocals and it's a Screamo Emo Rock Band.
JD: Really, you sing?
RS: I try.
JD: What's a Screamo Emo rock band?
RS: Heartfelt lyrics with a hard edge.
JD: And do those heartfelt lyrics come from you?
RS: Ya, I actually write most of the lyrics and then the rest is kind of my younger brother Devan. He's the bassist.
JD: And how often are you guys able to get together, since your always traveling?
RS: Not as often as we'd like.
JD: Is it all dependent on your schedule?
RS: Usually, but everyone in the band is still in school. I'm the one who's job got in the way.
JD: And your from Boston?
RS: No, the Bronx, school in Boston. High School in Manhattan, College in Boston.
JD: And what did you study?
RS: Audio Production and Sound Engineering, balancing my musical knowledge or lack there of.
JD: So what do you want to be when you grow up?
RS: I don't want to grow up. But I'd like to be involved in music, that's for sure.
JD: Well I still think you are precious. How does it feel to know that all these queens in fashion are lusting after you?
RS: Keeps me working. (laughs)

4 comments:

Marcos said...

I LOVE HIM!!! IM GLAD YOUR GIVING HIM PROPS!!

Sunshine said...

hey i know him

Anonymous said...

haha thats so crazy i just came upon this article i went to loyola with him

Anonymous said...

JOYOLA!!!! lol..i remember when people at school were like "Is that Ryan" when we saw him on American Eagle's website.