Thursday, August 2, 2007

Karaoke of the Rocks

If I drank liquor I'd be in a karaoke bar every other night. For years people have said to me "You don't do karaoke?" It wasn't until last night that I figured out what the disconnect was for me. Who does karaoke sober? Not the brave crew that crammed in to Angels & Kings for Spin Magazine's three part "Karaoke of the Rocks" tournament. The drinks were certainly flowin' Monday night. I was so impressed. Are all karaokers this good?

Team Diesel started the night off followed by Crush Mgmt, Edun, Meltin' Pot, One Model Mgmt (Scott Lipps killed it), with Rogan and Brooklyn Beat Records bringing up the rear. Guest judges included the incomparable Mick Rock, the always delightful Lydia Hearst, Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump (who totally rocked), Rob Stevenson of IDG Music Group and Bob McLynn of Crush Mgmt.

I thought I was gonna wet myself dancing with Kim Dillard to "Sweet Transvestite," complete with glittered lingerie and strip tease. That was until THE cutest boy in red skinny jeans (think Jude Law) took the stage and belted out Freddy Mercury's "Radio Goo Goo." Like a total pro. He even had Mick Rock questioning his score of 9, having stated early on in the evening 10's would only be handed out to the ladies. I'm telling you he was that cute.

What a fun night! Thanks to all the great contestants for opening my eyes to the world of competitive karaoke and a BIG shout out to Monina over at Spin Magazine!
























3 comments:

veritas said...

sounds like it was a awesome show, i personally would have gone just to check out lydia hearst, i really dig her and for the most part all karaokers are usually smashed when they go up on stage, i think people who do it sober are cheating.........

Marques Lyons said...

This a great blog you have. In a sea of meaningless prose that people post nowadays, your site is very cool. I'll have to be sure to jot this one down so I can catch up every now and then.

Anonymous said...

JD-The cute boy is the brother of Royston Langdon Liv Tyler's husband and they are both in the band Arckid.